If you’re interested in becoming a creator -OR- if you’ve started posting content online and you’re ready to start taking content creation more seriously, I recommend establishing your mission statement and content pillars.
What is a mission statement?
A mission statement is one to two sentences describing your purpose and values as an individual, brand, and or business.
When you figure out your purpose, you’ll figure out your direction. So many creators create without purpose, and this causes confusion for both YOU and your potential audience.
For new creators, NOT defining your purpose or what your page or platform is about can cause:
- Uncertainty about where to direct your focus and your energy
- Stress because you aren’t sure what TYPE of content to create your page
- Inconsistency because you personally haven’t defined what your audience can expect from you and your brand
What is a content pillar or a niche?
A content pillar (or niche) is a specific topic or segment you create content around.
And surprise! You can have more than one content pillar in your mission statement.
So many new creators think that mission statement and niches LIMIT yourself. I’ve heard new content creators say they don’t want to box themselves in or that they have many passions they want to talk about.
But, when you lay out your content pillars and you write it into your mission statement, you clarify your point of view. It’s 100% possible to tie in your passions into one cohesive mission statement. It takes some reflection and work but being intentional about what type of content you create will help you build an engaged audience and set your strategy.
The Content Creatives Podcast mission statement is to: empower creatives to DISCOVER, GROW, AND OWN their brand. Our content pillars break down the lifecycle of aspiring influencers and creatives:
- Discover: stories and tips to help other creatives figure out who they are and how to get started
- Grow: advice on learning, implementing strategy, and creating on each platform (Instagram, TikTok, blogging, etc) as well as learning how to monetize your influence
- Own their brand: encouraging others to be confident in who they are, take their brand to the next level, and expand their reach
If writing your mission statement and laying out your content pillars is a struggle for you, I highly recommend you check out my latest course: Build an Engaged Audience with Your Content Plan & Strategy. These two modules have LEADING QUESTIONS to help you write out and identify your purpose and content pillars.
It’s helpful to have a template and a set of questions to guide you through laying out your purpose and niche. I personally wish I figured this out earlier in my content creation career. It would have saved me so much time and helped me focused my content better.
Build an Engaged Community with Your Content Plan & Strategy also helps you:
- Create your audience strategy
- Identify your audience and create a marketing persona
- Types of content you can create
- Build your content plan
- Plan 7 days of content
- Plan 30 days of content
- Learn how to do an Instagram content audit
Sign up for email list so you can collect and use the coupon code next week to get $50 off.
What is your mission statement and content pillars?
For more content creator tips, I recommend checking out:
Thank you for reading!
P.S. This white puff sleeve dress if from Selkie.